Wednesday 21 September 2011

Museums and Pride

(Monday 19th September 2011, written same night)

Something I forgot. On the way to school today, I paused to read the sign a the entrance to a small museum. The was a mongolian looking man outside who invited me inside. I apologised and said that I was on my way to school and that I didn't have time but that I would come back.

On the way home I saw him again. On the spur of the moment I greeted him and asked if the museum was still open. He said it was, I asked how much and he said it was free. I went inside and was glad that I did. It is a small place. Probably a municipal museum, or a citizens club with some funding. It covers the history of the "Central Rayon" (The "Central" Borough of Novosibirsk). There are only three exhibition rooms. There seem to be three staff; the gentleman, a lady and someone I didn't really see in an office. The lady was very helpful. She gave me a tour and explained the exhibits. There were:
  • "Heroes of the Soviet Union" who came from the area
  • History during the Second World War (Great Patriotic War). Novosibirsk was not the front, but was used for treating casualties. Children from Leningrad were evacuated there.
  • Soldiers who had served in Afganistan (recent conflict)
  • A WW2 fighter pilot who had shot down 100+ planes
  • Artefacts from peoples homes
All sorts of stuff from before the Revolution, up to much more recent. It was all about people. The curators were obviously genuinely proud of it (and were entitled to be). The took the time to explain it to a foreigner. I did't understand everthing, but I understood some. I signed the visitors book. I'm going to take my colleagues along (I did, today 21st Sept).

Almost next door, I popped into what I suppose could be described as an antique shop. Enormous range of prices. Interesting. I'm going back.

No comments: