Wednesday 5 October 2011

Numbers, Art, Spoons and Trams

(Tuesday 4th October 2011 written and posted 5th October)

The lesson today was about numbers. Numbers of "things" in Russian present special problems for a foreigner. The form of the word "thing" depends on the details of the "thing" (masculine, feminine, neuter, animate, inanimate) and the number:
  • One thing is "nominative"
  • 2, 3 and 4 things are "genitive singular" (yes, I know that 2, 3 and 4 are plural), and
  • 5 and more things are "genitive plural"
  • And the game starts again at 21, 22-23-24, 25+, 31, etc!
If someone really understands it, contact me off-line, you may be able to earn yourself a drink!

Another exercise was a lady telling me her recipe for happiness: "A dollup of this, 5 tonnes of that, a smidgin of something else". You can probably see how it relates to the earlier stuff about plurals. Part of the homework is to produce my own recipe.

After lunch I went on a trip round the a Novosibirsk art gallery with a lady called Nastia. The association of the name in English is completely wrong. She's a 21 year old Literature student, who speaks better English than my Russian, but won't while she's with me! We went round the gallery, and I learned about her taste in art (she likes paintings of the sea, and so do I) and she learned that I used to work in a steelworks (because there were Soviet era engravings of coke-ovens and a blast furnace). I enjoyed the trip and I hope she did too. We spent over an hour and a half in the gallery and I haven't concentrated so hard for a long time.

Then it was back to school to do some of the homework. I did formal "numbers of this and that" exerises I had to do, but just couldn't get to grips with the "recipe for happines".

Fed up with the Recipe for happiness (which was making me unhappy), and armed with a flyer I found at the school, I set off to find a souvenir shop. A bus ride and a short walk later, I bought some carved wooden spoons with painted decoration. I think they are very pretty.

On the way home, I decided to go by a different route and take a trip on a tram. The trams in Novosibirsk are pretty old. You have to climb a long way up to get into them. This one took me pretty much the whole way home. I could get it (the other way round) to the school, but I think that would be a waste of effort. (Minibuses cost 35 r, Metro 15 r, buses and trolley-buses 14 r, and trams 13 roubles). If you want the real, post-soviet experience, travel by tram.

Dinner was pork cutlet, mashed potato, tomato and cucumber.

Boosa is 12. She's getting pretty old. I hope the "accident" was an isolated incident, otherwise her days are probably numbered.

I still couldn't think of a suitable "recipe, so I "played hookey", and watched "Pirates of the Carribean" (in Russian), and had a bottle of strong beer (that's what is says on the label, and it is 7%).

No comments: