Wednesday 4 March 2009

Uncertainty - one of the products of the "Credit Crunch"

I'm not going to ramble on about how tough things are. I'm probably better equipped than most to weather the current economic storm, but am facing a minor problem which gives me a little sympathy for those who are more vulnerable than I am.

In my "day job" we were engaged by a Customer to do some work, which we were assured they wanted done by the end of March ("to use this year's budget", does that sound familiar?). Anyway, work being scarce, we set about it with a will. Now, we are part way through (but with nothing tangible "delivered") and the customer is delaying making decisions. They are satisfied with what has been done so far, but are taking a very long time to authorise the next step. The problem is, this means we have people idle, or shortly to be idle, and we're all wondering whether we should be looking for other work. Naturally most of us are. I hope the situation reaches a resolution soon, and certainly before we reach a point where I suddenly have two jobs! I've got to sympathise with the Customer as well. Things aren't easy for them either.

No comments: